St Helena Weather

Wednesday 26 June 2013

Winter? Really??

So last week my Saint colleagues were arriving at the Castle in coats and scarves. When I tell them it's hot, they laugh and tell me it's my age!
Today in Jamestown it was 24 degrees and we are into winter! There's still a drought and a severe water shortage here. Even my local colleagues had to admit it was unusually warm.

I am no longer the 'new' girl! Sarah and her family arrived on last weeks ship and she started work at the Castle on Monday. I should now know what I am doing, after all I've been here 3 weeks now! There are still loads of places to visit, but I saving as much as I can for when Andy and Henry arrive, but for operational reasons, I had to go out in search of Scotland at the weekend.
In Scotland you will find ANRD  (Agriculture and Natural Resources Department) I had a meeting scheduled with the Director and rather than be late or lose my way, I thought it only best to locate it in advance. So on Sunday Scotland was duly located. Finding it reminded me of a very amusing trip to Dublin in 2005 when there was a distinct lack of sign posts, In fact the only sign I found pointing to Scotland was when you actually find Scotland! Just like Dublin...
All I can say is that it is much quicker going to Scotland from here than at home in the UK

Foraging in the shops becomes a bit of an occupation and excitement is often over the simplest of things! I found a dozen eggs, complete with egg boxes in the supermarket on Saturday. That may sound uneventful to non Islanders, but here if you are lucky enough in malting season to find eggs, you usually have to supply your own egg box in order to purchase them! Another quirky thing.
As was entering into discussion with the Chief of Police to find that back in the UK he lives 8 miles from me, which i thought was amazing to have traveled over 4000 miles. But them I met the Health and Social care Director - a Saint - who's son is oversees and currently residing in my home town! What a small world

Roll on the sunshine and fine weather, so long as it rains at night to maintain the reservoir levels and prevent a shut off of water supplies!!

No comments:

Post a Comment