St Helena Weather

Tuesday 4 June 2013

The Journey

Arriving at RAF Brize Norton at 19:30, meant that we had a 3 ½  hour wait until our scheduled flight to Ascension Island at 23:00. We all had to complete security clearance to enable Andy and Henry to accompany us to the ‘airport’ terminal.
It was one of the worst moments of my life saying goodbye to my wonderful husband of almost 25 years and my youngest son at the airport. Andy and I have barely been apart in 27 years together, so this is a very alien experience and not one I have been looking forward to. Earlier in the day I had said goodbye to my eldest son, also a difficult time.
The terminal is small with few facilities other than the statutory toilets. Check-in was swift and pain free followed by a long wait for the departure call. There is a tiny shop selling coffee, sweets etc, aimed at military personnel, which are the main customer.
Eventually an announcement meant I could proceed to security, have by bags x-rayed and checked. However, something was missing – my jacket! It had entered the scanner, but failed to emerge the other end. I waited for the next person’s belongings to emerge, but still no sign of my jacket. Eventually I had to ask and it was retrieved from the depths of the scanner!

Although we ended up departing later than scheduled, the flight was exceptionally smooth. No seat back TV’s but this was counteracted by the loan of an IPAD, pre-loaded with films and music which, in exchange for my boarding card, I was permitted to use for the duration!. Food was surprisingly good too, onboard. There is no alcohol at all, so blackcurrant squash all-round! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment