St Helena Weather

Monday 17 June 2013

Firsts!

It's been a week of 'Firsts' this week - My first Bank Holiday weekend - I know, I know, I've only just got here!
A couple more ‘Firsts’ - Going to Jail and Alcohol at Work Policy

Having joined the local car-share group to undertake the daily white knuckle ride from Piccolo Hill in Longwood down to Jamestown, I am often in Jamestown by 8:10.
The 6 mile journey involves 4 tight hairpin bends (so tight that they cannot always be taken in one move        (vehicles often required to complete a 2 or even 3 point turn to make it round!) to enable the decent down the mountain side, not to mention numerous other bends and turns along this mainly single track road. There are a few ‘passing’ points which you almost hurtle between to avoid meeting an upward travelling vehicle, which has right of way and then involved copious amounts of skillful reversing up a single track mountain path (otherwise known as Side Path - see picture below!)

 You rarely use gears above 2nd and decent is usually in 1st or 2nd gear with your right foot firmly fixed to the brake – It’s not dissimilar on the way up to be honest! (Other than I don’t have to reverse!) It takes around 20 minutes to descend into the capital of St Helena and we take it in turns to be in the driving seat.
Arriving before the official start time for Government employees creates a challenge in itself. Due to recent divestment of services, the offices are often still locked. In order to get the one and only key to the front door (the Island’s Key cutting machine is currently out of order!) the first person arriving has to walk over the road to the Prison. On arrival at the prison gate you have to identify yourself to the jailers and retrieve the door key by collecting it though the bars of the jail! 
Luckily, I only had to go to jail a few times before a new opening up routine was established and now the Castle is unlocked by a newly appointed caretaker. It was an experience though.
On my first day in the office I am familiarising myself with my colleagues by making tea.  The office is all female, as opposed to my last job which was male dominated.
This is also the only place in the world I have opened the office fridge to find it stocked with wine!

In the words of my very good friend Steve, ‘There’s a water shortage, darling – save water, drink wine’  Looks like they have already started!
The highlight of the Bank Holiday weekend is Gravity Rush 2013
This involves competitors 'driving' a home made cart a mile or so down the hill into Jamestown. Believe me, they do half pick up some speed. Here's some pictures of this years event. It also shows some local shops and the market place.






The event is followed by a walk along the Wharf at James Bay. The daytime temperature is holding between 18 and 20 degrees - not bad for winter!


No comments:

Post a Comment