St Helena Weather

Thursday 11 June 2015

Woolly Hats and Rainbows



It’s been a while since I blogged – too much going on both workwise and socially.
The weather has changed significantly over the last week. The temperature has dropped down to a lowly 16 degrees. As this is now my third summer, I have acclimatised to the heat and as a consequence, now need to break out the jumpers!
Other, more recent arrivals on the Island are still in shorts and a t-shirt and eye me mysteriously in my long shirt and jacket!
I did see my first woolly hat wearer of the winter (well still officially autumn until the 21st!) on the trip to Jamestown this morning. He was huddled over wearing a woolly beany type hat and a thick jacket. My work colleague arrived complete with scarf and jacket informing me that it was cold this morning in Longwood. There is definitely a chill in the air, but I wouldn’t say it’s cold.
In fact when in the UK 16 degrees is the temperature it has to reach before I take the roof OFF my Audi A4 convertible..
And so to rainbows! I had forgotten how many rainbows the Island gets through the winter months. On Saturday morning having completed ‘Boot Camp’ at New Horizons in Jamestown from 8 am, we were sitting at Tasty Bites in Half Tree Hollow awaiting bacon sandwiches, when a rainbow emerged slowly from between two valleys. It rose up and spread out towards the sea, reminding me of how many rainbows, including double ones that I have seen through my time here. They are stunning and with the equally stunning backdrop of the Island’s rugged volcanic geography, I cannot think of more dramatic setting for rainbows anywhere in the world

No comments:

Post a Comment