St Helena Weather

Tuesday 3 June 2014

A Year On

I left the UK on Sunday 26th May 2013. The time has gone by really quickly. By the time I get back to the UK in early August for my ‘mid-term leave’ I will have been away for just over 14 months – It’s also a long time to go without a holiday, so really looking forward to the break – 6 weeks! A chance to catch up with my Mum, my eldest (George) as well as Andy’s family and our friends. It’s our eldest nephew’s 21st too so will be looking forward to the fabulous party that I know Jill will deliver.

So to Island life…

We spent a lovely late afternoon and evening on Friday after work just chilling at Donny’s Bar. There were people wake boarding in the Bay and it was great to spend some time just people watching. Henry had taken one of his AS papers in the morning – 2 down, 2 to go. As usual the boys went diving on Saturday and in the afternoon Henry debuted as Crystal Rangers goal-keeper. He had a great time and for the first time in ages Crystal Rangers only lost by one goal (it’s usually double figures – LOL)

The Jeep Wrangler is finally up and running – new clutch fitted and tested – although had to wait for various parts to arrive from the UK. Andy often sends me into the shops to ask for different car parts – I swear he’s just having a laugh!
The sales assistants look at me like I am mad, then suggest a different shop to go to. So to anyone who is bringing a car = also bring brake pads, service parts (filters etc) don’t expect to find the ‘right’ part for your car here – generic things like oil are available and we did get wiper blades, but I asked for copper grease and there was silence.. ‘Won’t get that here’ was the response. BUT we did get it after much foraging around! I also wanted a trolley jack – I didn’t get a trolley jack, but did get a bottle jack – not quite what I was looking for, but it will do

We woke up on Sunday morning to a very low water pressure, then a short while later, no water at all. No 1 Piccolo Hill had sprung a leak! Fortunately due to the eagle eyes of John at No 4, the fault was reported and fixing within a few hours. So by lunchtime, we had brown water. A short time later we had white foaming water – it looked like milk it was that dense! Figured if I boiled it, it would be ok..
We’ve taken to walking the Muppies down at Millennium Forest/Horse Point – overlooking the airport site. It’s quiet and Pippy seems to like it – Smudge can go off the lead so long as she keeps away from the edge. Like pretty much everywhere on the Island, the views are spectacular.

We had a bank holiday on Wednesday last week – in aid of St Helena Day (anniversary of the Island’s discovery in 1502) And again, unlike the UK we have 2 bank holidays in June, on the 9th and the 16th, so looking forward to that

No comments:

Post a Comment